ArLyne's Diamonds

A running commentary of ideas

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tikkun Olam

Tikkun Olam

Although the literal translation is “repair the world” all practicing Jews consider this phrase a mandate to do service to others – community service – voluntary service…. Helping those needing extra help.

I grew up in a service organization called “B’nai Brith” – sons of the covenant.  I was in the youth group (B’nai Brith Girls) where I was taught leadership and team work.  I became President of my club, Regional President and later held District office.  We had incredible professional staff training us in running meetings, public speaking, leading, managing and motivating others.  It was an incredible experience.

During these years much of my volunteer work was at the Bronx Veteran’s Hospital, where I worked with men in the locked psychiatric wards, as well as in the paraplegic and quadriplegic wards.  The experiences I learned during those years has stood me in good stead – including to today.

Later, I was the youngest President (age 18) of the women’s group – The Franklin Chapter of B’nai Brith. 

These early experiences led to my involvement over the course of the next XX number of years on boards and committees of many other service/community organizations.
I’ve written about the value of doing service to others – the value to them – as well as to the value of the person giving service.  I truly believe life is so much better when it is larger than just yourself.

Tikkun Olam and B’nai Brith are concepts for voluntary service.  That’s much different from someone holding a gun over your head (either real or virtual) to force you to give some of your money, or your time, or both to others.

Please consider what you personally do to help those less fortunate than yourself:  Tikkun Olam.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home