In the past I’ve written extensively about types of meetings and managing them. In this brief article, I just want to add a couple of important tips:
· Set and keep a time schedule
· As meeting manager (CEO or facilitator) be on time
· Have an agenda – and publish it – also have paper copies
· No surprises – everyone involved should know the purpose of the meeting
· If guests are invited, advise them in advance that they are guests and will be given the opportunity to speak when it is appropriate to the reason they are in attendance.
· Nurture a climate that encourages people to express their own views – and to offer constructive disagreements and/or criticism
· Share the responsibility of the meeting with attendees by having them responsible for different aspects of the agenda.
· Have a living agenda rather than a static one and allow others to input into the agenda before it is published
· Start and end on time – that shows respect for others
· Summarize the meeting – have action items at the end,