ArLyne's Diamonds

A running commentary of ideas

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Emergency Room - Customer service


Emergency Room Customer Service


I was appalled when reading how an ER Doc treated a patient at El Camino Hospital. 

Having recently been a patient there myself – although not in the ER – it was astonishing because I’ve been bragging about El Camino Hospital based on my own experience in December.  I’ve been calling it the Ritz Carlton of Hospitals.

It’s especially appalling because I’ve consulted to emergency rooms of hospitals on the very subject of customer service.
Dr. Keegstra allegedly said to the patient “I’m sorry sir, you were the least sick of all the people who are here who are dying.”  What a poor choice of words.

When I consult to ER’s I teach the administrative, nursing and medical staff how to be apologetic in a nice way to those left waiting because more seriously injured people are triaged into the inner sanctum first.

I suggest:  “Please accept our apologies for keeping you waiting so long.  We had a few people who might have died had they not been rushed in before you.  I hope you understand.


I also suggest that the ER staff be tolerant of the patient who explodes with curses upon being let in after a long wait in the waiting room.  Patients need to be treated with respect and courtesy no matter how upset or unkempt they might appear.

It would be great if the staff serving the incoming patient who is ambulatory and not in need of immediate medical attention have coffee, tea, orange juice or even water to offer the person who will be left waiting – perhaps for hours.

Be kind.  Be thoughtful.  

Remember, he or she is scared and hurting even though you realize because you are experienced that they aren’t necessarily an emergency at all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home