ArLyne's Diamonds

A running commentary of ideas

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Increase Productivity - Save Money

Saving Money while Increasing Productivity

When I look over the shoulders (metaphorically speaking) of the employees of my clients, I often see them doing unnecessary work and making things harder for themselves.  In part it is because no one taught them the simplest most effective system to do their tasks – instead in the mis-use of the concept of empowerment they were told to figure it out themselves.  In my opinion that is management abrogating responsibility.

Another reason is because people invent these elaborate systems to prevent embezzlement or fraud – often the solution is far more costly than the real risk involved.  Yes, we need checks and balances – but sometimes we go way too far. It’s a challenge for me to help these people realize that some of what they are doing isn’t worthwhile.

Sometimes getting outside expertise to work WITH your team enables everyone to look at things differently and to find more effective and less-costly solutions to solving problems.

We don’t all know all the answers. 

I don’t do my own taxes – because to do so would require extensive new learning annually for just me.  It doesn’t pay.  On the other hand, my accountant learns all the new laws because he or she is applying them to hundreds of cases.


I don’t service my own car.  I don’t know how.  I don’t want to know how.  I use people I trust who are reliable and ethical.  They do a far better job than I ever could, even if I learned how.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home