ArLyne's Diamonds

A running commentary of ideas

Friday, August 20, 2010

Ground Zero - My Opinion

OK, so I am not The President of the United States, nor do I currently live in New York City. I hasten to tell you that I do not consider myself prejudiced against any religion, race, culture, etc. On the other hand, abhor those who hate me, my kind, my religion and my country. My enemies are my enemies.

That having been said, I don't think this is an enemy, or prejudice issue. I think it is an issue of cultural sensitivity. I teach diversity, International Business, cultural sensitivity, discrimination, etc. It should be a two-way street.

Yes, of course legally the Muslim community has the right to build its mosque where ever there is appropriate zoning. Yes of course they (like everyone else) have the right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression (symbols.)

BUT - and this is a huge but - you don't rub people's noses in their pain and memories. Sensitivity to others would suggest that you understand and respect that the terrorists claimed they were destroying the Towers in the name of Allah.

They, not we, made the case for Muslim involvement. We, on the other hand, understand that it was only insane radicals that did this damage, killing thousands of people, raping our country, causing Post-traumatic Stress Syndrome for thousands of New Yorkers who were nearby and saw the devestation and the falling bodies.

Yes, we the intelligent and sensitive majority do understand that it is not the entire Muslim community. But, why can't this community understand that the pain is too great - too fresh - and that they should go elsewhere so that it doesn't appear that they are rubbing our noses in it and claiming victory over the rest of us?

It's not about rights. It's about sensitivity to others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home