ArLyne's Diamonds

A running commentary of ideas

Friday, July 01, 2016

MOJO for the Job Hunter



It costs so much to be a real human being. That there are very few who have the enlightenment or the courage to pay the price. One has to abandon altogether the search for security and reach out to the job of living with both arms. One has to embrace the world like a lover. One has to accept pain as a condition of existence. One has to court doubt and darkness as the cost of knowing. One needs a will stubborn in conflict but apt always to total acceptance of every consequence of living and dying. Morris L. West: “The Shoes of the Fisherman”

I, like you, am struggling with trying to find work in this economy, in this valley, in this era when only youth seems to matter.

I, like you am accustomed to a high degree of success and acceptance. It’s hard to now be knocking on doors. I feel like the aging actress being asked to audition – once having been a famous star.

I, like you need to find ways to stay vibrant, active, and feeling and looking like I’m ready to tackle anything.

I, like you know the miracle isn’t going to happen – it needs consistent and constant hard work on my part – and on yours as well.

So:  Let’s do it different – let’s shake it up for ourselves and for those around us.

Let me share a little bit more about myself – and what I’ve done to get my mojo back.

For the last 30 years I have been a Professional Development, Leadership and Management Consultant. I’ve worked with individuals, teams, groups, boards, and even government agencies…..all work coming to me through word-of-mouth referrals.

Then, the recession hit. This horrible long lasting recession.

I wrote books. I wrote articles. I wrote my monthly newsletter. I blogged.  I knocked on doors. I felt like giving up.

THEN: Someone high up in State politics asked me to run for Assembly. 

I said YES.

Running for office was taking me out of my comfort zone – out of my laziness (working out of a home office it becomes easy to be lazy) forcing me to be at meetings, public forums, speaking to people, discussing issues on panels, being on radio and TV and stretching my abilities.

It was fun!  I met a whole bunch of new and interesting people. I made some new friends. I even lost a few pounds because of being more active. I got my mojo back.

Now: What can you do?

Do It Differently

I think it was Einstein who said that if you do the same thing over and over expecting different results, you are crazy. So, we need to find ways to do it differently.

Ask yourself:
  • What are you doing now?
  • What did you do for leisure time when you were working?
  • When was the last time you took a course for the fun of it – art, woodworking, music?
  • What community service do you do? Charity?
  • Exercise? Sports?
  • Have you re-visited your resume lately?  Have you revised it?
  • What about some new training?  New ideas?  Have you explored them?

Basic Ideas – Worth Repeating

  • Get plenty of sleep – at least 8 hours a day
  • Ambien, booze, all leave you feeling depressed – be careful.
  • Exercise – don’t make it a chore – make it fun
  • Nap in the afternoon if possible
  • Socialize – make friends, have potlucks, picnics, whatever you can
  • Hang out with children – they make you laugh and feel younger
  • Pamper yourself – beach, bath, massage
  • Pets – animals – volunteer to be a caretaker
  • Personal Hygiene – critically important – as is your Professional Image
  • Depression – Climb out of the well – Do not deny your emotions, care for them
  • FUN FUN  FUN  Laughter and fun the very best medicine of all 

Tips for Reducing Self-Induced and Unnecessary Stress

  • Clarify your ethics
  • Set realistic work priorities
  • Treat people with kindness
  • Stop taking offense at unimportant words
  • Assume good will
  • Perfection v. Excellence 

Remember Your Marketing Tools

  • Business Cards – with phone numbers and e-mail  (Make them look good)
  • Dress for the Interview possibility at all times – never know who is sitting next to you.
  • 30 second, 60 second elevator pitch: Are they old and stale – need new ones?
  • Resume up to date – always have a few of them with you
  • Postcard sized marketing material to hand out

Find Your MOJO –

  • Feeling healthy and looking good
  • Doing things for others – get outside of your own needs
  • Trying new things – new ideas, new people, new activities
  • Buddy System
  • Willingness to get out of your comfort zone and do new and exciting things.   

Nothing in life just happens. It isn't enough to believe in something you have to have the stamina to meet obstacles and overcome them.to struggle. Golda Meir

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home