ArLyne's Diamonds

A running commentary of ideas

Friday, May 27, 2005

Thanks for Signing in

Although I haven't seen any comments on the blog itself, a few people called, came over and/or e-mailed me that they had visited my new blog. Thanks. Please feel free to offer comments.

Today, I want to start with something that is very important to me. All of my life I have been willing to speak up for what I believe is right. Most of the time, many others agree with me - but are reluctant to come forward, believing that they have to "go along to get along." As a Jew, I strongly object to that passive stance, because that's what happened in Germany Everyone let Hitler get away with it - and he acquired more and more power - and look what happened.

There is a famous quote, from Pastor Neimeyer, a Protestant Minister, which goes something like: They came for the Jews, and since I wasn't one, I didn't protest.
They came for the Homosexuals and since I wasn't one, I didn't protest, [next several other examples] - and then they came for me, and there was no one left who could protest. If anyone has the exact quote, I'd love for them to post it here.

Bob Finnochio, Professor of Business at the University of Santa Clara and I are writing an article, entitled "The Tyranny of Pleasantness". Bob makes the point that in the corporate world many bad decisions are made because people are afraid to offer constructive criticism, thinking they need to be "team players" and accept consensus, no matter how bad it is.

John Adams, our Second President, wrote about the importance of protecting the minority - against the majority.

Some would think Don Quixote was crazy - recently, the property manager working with our townhouse suggested I was crazy, because I disagreed with some of the decisions being made by the board - with his influence. He called me to vilify me for not being a team player. Were the Germans all "team players"?

2 Comments:

  • At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi....there are many, many laws governing condos and " condo-commandos ".......i admire your spunk on this

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Blogger Keath Graham said…

    I think the quote you're looking for about "first they came for the trade unionists..." is by Niemuller and can be found at this site: pastorhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came

     

Post a Comment

<< Home