ArLyne's Diamonds

A running commentary of ideas

Friday, January 10, 2020

The best fit for the job


When interviewing C level executives a few years ago, one of the areas in which I questioned them had to do with their relationship with their HR teams.  Among their other concerns was the fact that HR did not provide them with the best candidates but often with those the hiring manager considered the worst.

Why, I asked myself – the answer:  HR is given a specific amount of information and that’s what it goes by.  For example:  If the hiring manager says I want someone with five years of experience, HR will reject anyone with only four years of experience.

Well, it happened to me!  

I love to teach and do a lot of online teaching these days.  I applied to a university in New Hampshire that advertises that it works with students who have not been given the best of opportunities in their lives.

I’m a perfect fit – but the HR person didn’t know that.  Not only did I teach for five years at a graduate school that favored the adult student working and returning for an advanced degree – I was that student years ago.  My evaluations are excellent – I motivate students to do their best and to enjoy learning.

But my resume didn’t say that – how do you say something like that without sounding like you are bragging – and being too personal.
SO – when it is important to have a good personality – or background fit – how is HR to know it when you are only allowed to fill out a form.?

There must be a better way – any suggestions?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home